Reporting to: Director of Finance and Resources and Head of HR
This is an excellent opportunity to manage the operations of a busy and complex organisation at the heart of community business.
We are seeking an experienced and enthusiastic Operations Manager to effectively manage our operations to make sure we can deliver everything we need to over the next two years. You will support the Director of Finance and Resources and Head of HR at Power To Change, to ensure that we work effectively, maximise our resources, safeguard our physical assets and are compliant externally and with regards to our policies and procedures.
Power to Change is an independent charitable trust that supports community businesses in England, endowed by the National Lottery Community Fund (previously the Big Lottery Fund). Our vision is better places through community business. We want to back people to build successful community businesses for the benefit of their local places.
The successful candidate will lead and oversee a number of projects including supporting our return to office working post Covid19 and ensuring our IT provision is effective and efficient. Your approach to working is more important than your skills and experience and we are looking for someone who is enthusiastic and proactive, able to work across the organisation to support your colleagues.
The primary function of this role is to support the Director of Finance and Resources and Head of HR to effectively manage the operations of the Trust, including maximizing resources, safeguarding physical assets and ensuring compliance.
Working with the Finance and Resources Officer the role will lead on IT, office management and provide additional HR support. The role will require the Operations Manager to lead on the one-off projects that it embarks on particularly as Power to Change (PTC) considers its potential closure. The post will be a key liaison within the Finance and Resources team as well working with stakeholders within the wider organisation.
- Responsible for IT, office management and insurance budget lines ensuring value for money
- Where necessary develop and improve policies to reflect best practice and communicate to the organisation
- Contribute to committee and board papers where appropriate
Manage all operations projects including defining requirements, engaging with relevant stakeholders and ensuring objectives are met on time and on budget.
- Manage PTC’s outsourced IT provider ensuring they provide a good service and service level agreements are met.
- Ensure PTC’s network remains secure, stable, targeting zero downtime and adapting the best in class technology keeping within a cloud strategy.
- Responsible for the mechanisms for storing files on PTC’s network, apps and cloud software ensuring a clear structure of filing system.
- With the Data Manager ensure that data retained on PTC’s network is valid or archived/deleted where appropriate.
- Ensure IT equipment is replaced regularly and to the specification needed.
- Lead on IT projects and upgrades in conjunction with the IT provider.
- Hold the relationships with the landlords and building maintenance staff for all offices
- Ensure adequate health and safety measures (including C-19) are in place and PTC is compliant
- Ensure the office and the office equipment is regularly maintained and if necessary tested.
- Ensure that fire evacuation plans are in place and regular drills occur
- With the Director of Finance and Resources ensure an adequate level of cover is in place for the business insurance of PTC and subsidiaries.
- Take an active role in annual renewal of the policy with the insurance broker.
- Manage any claims made on the policy.
- Support the Head of HR in ensuring that employee data is collected and stored in line with the GDPR and support on internal audit reviews as and when they occur.
- Support the Head of HR to manage employee benefit administration, including annual renewal processes
- Manage the update of the Employee Handbook, coordinating necessary changes and updated language from other teams
- Maintain the contract database for all consultants and suppliers
- Provide ad-hoc assistance to other team members as required.
This job description is issued as a guideline to assist you in your duties, it is not exhaustive. Because of the evolving nature and changing demands of our work this job description may be subject to change. You may, on occasions, be required to undertake additional or other duties within the context of this job description.
Skills and Experience
- Enthusiastic and proactive, willing to pick up a range of varied projects and support the wider organisation on new activities and opportunities.
- Good working knowledge of IT best practice including Office365
- Experience of contracts management including service level agreements.
- Experience of planning and managing projects.
- Experience of managing budgets and ensuring value for money.
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to explain technical information and concepts to non-technical staff individually and in formal group training sessions
- Proven ability to work to a high standard with an eye for detail with first-rate analytical and problem-solving skills
- Highly organised and able to manage a varied workload.
- Working understanding and appreciation for information legislation such as GDPR
- Experience of working in a charity / not for profit sector desirable
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all candidates irrespective of race, age, disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion or belief, or marital or civil partnership status. We will assess all applications against the requirements for this post as detailed in the job description and person specification and ask for names and education history to be removed from applications.
We are Disability Confident Committed, we welcome and respond positively to applications from disabled people. We will meet individual needs throughout the recruitment process, including making any appropriate reasonable adjustments during the interview stage and to our workplace if selected into post to support colleagues with any form of disability.
As a Mindful Employer we recognise that in the UK, people experiencing mental ill health continue to report stigma and discrimination. We are committed to creating a supportive and open culture, where colleagues are able to talk about mental health. We are also committed to ensuring that our employees feel safe in disclosing any mental health conditions and confident that they will be properly supported and offered reasonable adjustments when required.
If you have any questions about how Power to Change is an equal opportunities employer please contact our Diversity and Inclusion Coordinator, Edward on edward,email@example.com
If you are interested in this excellent opportunity, please send your CV and Cover Letter to Sheena Pentin at Careers4Change.