Reporting to: Heads of Finance (job share)
Contract: Permanent, full time (open to flexible working)
Salary: Circa £49,000 (depending on experience)
This is an exciting opportunity to join a motivated team and play a critical role in supporting all financial processes at Big Society Capital as it seeks new and innovative solutions to broaden the market for Social Impact Investment. The work will be complex and varied, offering exposure to a range of pioneering projects.
This role will initially support the setup of treasury operations for Big Society Capital as it introduces external impact investing products. Activities will include the development of processes for the monitoring of cash flows, efficient management of bank accounts, performance of banking operations, treasury reporting and liquidity assessments.
The position will also support a wide range of other finance processes including month end, the production of management accounts and other period end reporting. You will also support investment accounting, fund and treasury accounting, the valuation of investments, the preparation of statutory reporting and returns and preparing and monitoring departmental budgets. The position will ensure that effective financial controls and procedures are maintained.
Work in the Finance team of 6 consisting of the Head of Finance (Job Share), Financial Controller, two Finance Managers, Management Accountant and Finance Assistant. Extensive contact with all members of staff, particularly the Investment team, the Legal and Compliance team and the Operations team. Contact with Executive Committee members to get authorisations.
Banks, custodians, depositories, fund managers, treasury management providers, regulatory advisers, FCA, HMRC, investees, auditors.
Flexibility to develop the role and take on additional tasks as required.
- Manage liquidity effectively, so that funds are available when required
- Report on treasury performance and liquidity
- Manage bank accounts and banking operations
- Support month end processes
- Support statutory reporting and liaise with auditors to ensure accurate and timely completion of the year end process.
- Assist with the preparation of FCA reporting and other requirements.
- With the team, maintain and develop accurate accounting systems, records and reporting, with adequate financial controls. Review and develop processes for the valuation and financial monitoring of Big Society Capital’s social investment portfolio, including preparation for the Quarterly Valuation Committee.
- Review quarterly Fund reporting and Audited Accounts from BSC’s investments and ensure Fund income and expenditure and valuation gains/losses are accurately recorded in BSC’s accounting system. Liaison with Fund Managers as required.
- Develop departmental budgets and input into the forecasting process.
- With the team, research and stay current with accounting standards, guidance and legislation, and apply to BSC’s financial and FCA reporting requirements.
- Undertake project work to support the development of BSC and the finance function, including supporting the introduction of external social impact investing products.
Skills and Experience
- Qualified accountant (ACA, ACCA, CIMA or equivalent)
- Experience of working in a treasury function or role
- Investment management, Fund Accounting or financial services experience
- Development of internal control procedures and frameworks
- Development of management information and insightful analysis
- Sound and up to date knowledge of UK GAAP
- Some post qualified experience
- Excel modelling
- Social Investment experience
- Charity or not-for-profit organisation experience
- FCA regulatory reporting
- Knowledge of IPEV valuation guidelines
Skills, abilities and attributes
- Structured thinker able to synthesize, simplify and reframe complex problems and data
- Relevant knowledge of accounting systems and Intermediate to Expert on Excel
- Ability to apply statutory principles, guidelines and legislation in practice
- Demonstrates excellent financial and numerical awareness: fully conversant with financial accounts and accounting procedures
- A collaborative team player with strong communications skills and ability to establish excellent working relationships internally and externally
- Attention to detail with an ability to be analytical and prioritise ideas
- Comfortable with ambiguity, and the ability to work towards a bigger vision, which may be a moving target
- Superior judgment, discretion and utmost integrity
- Able to work outside of standard working hours on occasion to meet deadlines