Chief Operating Officer (one year maternity cover)
Full time (4 days a week also considered)
Based in Oxford
£40,000 to £48,000 DOE
The COO role puts you at the strategic heart of Ethex and at the cutting edge of delivering growth to make positive investing mainstream. The COO is responsible for the successful running of the business on a day-to-day basis which includes both the Ethex platform and our 50% owned sister platform, Energise Africa.
Ethex is a multi-award-winning positive investment retail platform that brings together the best positive savings and investment opportunities to make it easy for everyone to #makemoneydogood. We are a leading innovator in the field and this role offers the right candidate an excellent opportunity to be part of an organisation at the cutting edge of making positive investing mainstream.
On our platform, ethex.org.uk, individuals can invest and save with businesses they believe in – whether it’s renewable energy, fair trade, social housing, organic farming, green transport, or micro-finance schemes – and these positive businesses can then find the investment they need to develop and grow. In 2017, we launched energiseafrica.com, offering people a chance to fight climate change investing in pioneering businesses that install life-changing solar systems in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Since 2013, multi-award winning Ethex, and its sister platform, have helped raise over £85 million of investment for nearly 100 charities, social businesses and community organisations, from over 15,000 positive savers and investors.
Chief Operating Officer
Leading a team of four, and working across Ethex and with our partner organisations, the COO must make decisions pertinent to the operation of both platforms and ensure efficient and effective management of processes and people, to deliver against a growth strategy for Ethex and Energise Africa. There are five key strands to the role:
Platform Compliance, Risk and Operations
- Oversight of the business performance of the two platforms – Ethex and Energise Africa. Specifically, ensuring we are meeting regulatory requirements and investor needs when order handling, managing products and when acting as a share registrar.
- Ensuring back office systems and procedures are efficient, comprehensive and fit-for-purpose, and spearheading the design & review of improvements.
- Overseeing key customer relationships with service providers, escalation point for businesses and investors for difficult queries and complaints, and overseeing new contracts.
Organisational & Team Leadership
- Providing strategic input to the boards and senior management teams of Ethex and Energise Africa.
- Working with the CEO on staff engagement and ensuring appropriate internal communications and regular updates on company strategy.
- Deputising for the CEO in her absence
- Managing and leading the operations team and resources to deliver against a growth strategy.
Programme & Service Delivery
- Responsible for project management and implementation of special projects relevant to the operations of the businesses as appropriate.
- Ensuring effective delivery of Cooperative management services for Westmill, acting as their company secretary role and managing their accounts.
- Oversight and management of the finances for Ethex, Energise Africa and Westmill Solar Co-operative, equivalent of an FD function.
- Managing budgets and allocation of resources for existing and new projects for Ethex and Energise Africa.
- Providing financial direction and scenario planning by liaising with internal and external stakeholders and managing our business models.
- Preparation of management accounts and year-end accounts.
Business Risk Management / Body Corporate
- Owner of Ethex’s suite of policies and procedures including our Employment Manual and associated policies, Business Continuity Plan, and our Organisational Risk Management strategy
- Maintaining health and safety standards and insurances for the Ethex office and ensuring a good working environment for staff.
- Providing day to day HR support to Ethex – contracts, payroll, ensuring staff management practices are adhered to
Reports to: CEO
Direct Reports: Senior Operations Manager, Operations Manager, Investment Support Officer, Finance Administrator
What we are looking for
- Ability to perform at a senior operational level with both internal and external stakeholders
- Experience leading significant budgets with diverse streams of income and expenditure
- Ideally with a financial or accounting background
- Experience of working in a social investment or social sector or not-for-profit organisation
- Experience of working in a start-up/fin-tech environment
- ‘can-do’ attitude
- We want to create a positive impact and make a difference in the world.
- We love helping communities, social entrepreneurs and businesses in innovative ways
- We aim to provide excellent customer service and treat all our investors fairly.
- We are a dynamic, professional and knowledgeable team with a friendly, can do attitude.
- We are a small team that likes delivering big impact.
What it means to be part of the Ethex team
- You can work with mission driven, happy people and help grow an award winning fintech social enterprise.
- Visit some of the social businesses we are supporting to see positive impact on the ground.
- Put forward awesome projects that we should be raising investment for.
- Enjoy flexible working hours if it works for you and us.
- A good amount of holiday plus some extra days around Christmas when we close to have a rest.
- Statutory pension scheme
- Plenty of bike racks to stash your bike