Location: Bristol or Sheffield Offices with occasional working from home. Plus travel to other offices, including London, on occasions.
Hours: 35 hours per week
Salary: £23,000 per annum
Reporting to: Media Relations Manager
Deadline for applications: 10am on 2nd September 2019.
Interviews to be held: 12th and 13th September 2019.
This is an exciting opportunity to join the Communications and Partnerships team of Power to Change as a full-time Communications Coordinator. We are a busy and friendly team, on a mission to grow the community business movement in England. This is an ideal opportunity for a rising marketing professional to build on their experience and make their mark on a great cause.
You will be working closely with other like-minded passionate professionals in our organisation to build the profile of a movement that will change the face of the country.
Power to Change is an independent charitable trust that supports community businesses in England, endowed by the National Lottery Community Fund. Our vision is better places through community business. We want to back people to build successful community businesses for the benefit of their local places.
To support our busy press office, our marketing and communications activities, and internal communications.
- Write case studies, award submissions, presentations
- Support with event organising and delivery and follow up with sector partners
- Answer press and media queries
- Conduct research for press and media features
- Draft press releases
- Create media lists using Kantar/Gorkana
- File press and media coverage
- Support with film and podcast production
- Design and produce collateral for the Power to Change team
- Support on campaigns such as Community Business Weekend
- Update the Power to Change website via the Content Management System (CMS)
- Ad hoc administrative tasks and respond to queries from stakeholders
- Visit community businesses and sector partners across England
- Provide ad-hoc assistance to other team members as required.
This job description is issued as a guideline to assist you in your duties, it is not exhaustive. Because of the evolving nature and changing demands of our work this job description may be subject to change. You may, on occasions, be required to undertake additional or other duties within the context of this job description.
What we’re looking for:
- Ideally, we would like you to have experience of working or volunteering in a press office, a communications agency or working as a journalist.
- You will be a great writer and can create engaging and compelling content suitable to a variety of audiences. This will be demonstrated by your experience of having had writing published in a blog, press release, journalistic article or similar.
- You will have proven organisation, planning and coordination experience, preferably from working on an integrated communications campaign
- You will have an excellent eye for detail – you could be proofing everything from concise tweets to lengthy reports
- You will have excellent verbal communication skills with a wide-range of stakeholders ranging from the owner of a community pub to a senior politician
- You will have experience of using Adobe Creative Cloud programmes, WordPress and Canva, or the ability to get up to speed with using these programmes
Who we’re looking for:
- You’re passionate and creative with bundles of positive energy and a desire to be an integral part of the dynamic team that is making community business famous in England.
- You can manage your own time efficiently and work independently, but you also value collaboration and working as part of a team
- You have a willingness to learn and get stuck into different projects with enthusiasm
- You display confidence and enthusiasm in putting over a case for community businesses in a face-to-face situation, on the phone or in writing.
- You have an interest and understanding of current affairs and social media, and how they play into the world of community business
You’re willing to travel around England, with some overnight stays
Email a CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all candidates irrespective of race, age, disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion or belief, or marital or civil partnership status. We will assess all applications against the requirements for this post as detailed in the job description and person specification and ask for names and education history to be removed from applications.
We are Disability Confident Committed, we welcome and respond positively to applications from disabled people. We will meet individual needs throughout the recruitment process, including making any appropriate reasonable adjustments during the interview stage and to our workplace if selected into post to support colleagues with any form of disability. If you meet the minimum requirements for the role and would like a guaranteed interview please email email@example.com, you do not need to share any details about your disability at this stage.
As a Mindful Employer we recognise that in the UK, people experiencing mental ill health continue to report stigma and discrimination. We are committed to creating a supportive and open culture, where colleagues are able to talk about mental health. We are also committed to ensuring that our employees feel safe in disclosing any mental health conditions and confident that they will be properly supported and offered reasonable adjustments when required.
If you have any questions about how Power to Change is an equal opportunities employer please contact our Diversity and Inclusion Coordinator, Edward on firstname.lastname@example.org